First publishedon www.ITSInternational.com
The Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority (LVCVA) has approved a contract with Elon Musk’s The Boring Company (TBC) to construct an underground people mover.
LVCVA says the $48.675,000 contract will allow TBC to build a people mover that could safely carry passengers in autonomous electric vehicles via a loop of underground express-route tunnels.
The underground loop system is expected to offer reduced total costs and less disruption to pedestrian and vehicle traffic. Once complete, the loop is anticipated to carry at least 4,4000 passengers per hour.
TBC’s contract includes three underground passenger stations, a pedestrian tunnel and two vehicular tunnels with an expected total length of approximately one mile. Other system components include:
• An elevator/escalator system for passenger access to each station
• Pedestrian entrances, exits, coverings from the elements and landscaping
• Tunnel lighting, power and video surveillance systems
• A fully equipped control room
• Cell phone, WiFi, intercom/PA, remote data and ventilation/life safety systems
In March, TBC received approval to build underground ‘express-route’ tunnels in Las Vegas.